Friday, May 1, 2009

Had a couple of minor problems to deal with. First the outhaul on the main slipped - the line is a little small for the in boom jammer - though perfectly satisfactory for its purpose. Secondly the grub screws on the furling gear came out - causing the foil to drop down the the forestay, making the furling hard - as the foil was catching. I have made a temporary repair and will try to improve on it, or obtain new grub screws at next stop. Wind is NE 4 -5bu (11 to 21 knots) with occasional 6bu (27 knot gusts). Weather is pleasant - simpsons clouds - i.e., trade wind cloud formations; small cumulus, in rows ( cloud streets) spreading out around us. Day run yesterday was 140nm, I am expecting similiar or a little higher today; winds overnight were up and down.

I had asked Damian a few days ago what he though I could improve on Catatude and this was his reply below.

I did have a few suggestions I was going to make to you. The addition of a few jammers for the genoa sheets and a small winch at the mast and possibly a cleat could make life easier. The reefing lines are also a little small for the boom jammers - and need a winch to remove. We are generally sailing with the first reef in place. This causes less rounding up due to surfing, though it is slightly slower the autopilot is working much less. Another factor is that we have a little more scope on the mainsheet - I keep it off the stays, which means it is slightly over sheeted, but again cuts down wear and tear. Though I stick to the reefing plan with the boat, in part due to the added influence of swell. We could carry more sail safely, but as I mentioned before, this would all add to general fatigue. A primary addition for a speed increase would be the addition of a gennaker. After that, as you must have found with Rummy Cat, she is quite lively and making good speed 8-9knots in a stiff breeze and flat seas will not be difficult. Other than that, possibly experimenting with barber hauls - I haven't as of yet, but often do use them on cats, and a genoa track would probably enhance performance. Regarding Furuno meeting us in Antigua. Nothing from them as of today - I will update you as soon as they have been in touch. I guess you must have pushed the right button, when you spoke to them. I hope that is of some help. Have a pleasant weekend. Ourseleves, we are hoping to make it to the Mid Atlantic Restaurant tomorrow (-35W)regards Damian

No comments:

Post a Comment